Defining Tree Identification
Tree identification, more formally dendrology, is the study of trees and shrubs and how to classify them into a taxonomy. Woody plants belong to many different plant families which can contain both woody and none woody plants. Tree identification is therefore difficult to distinguish from plant taxonomy - as trees may fall into the same categories as plants which are not trees.
In industrial terms, dendrology is more concerned with identifying and clasifying those trees which are economically useful. Tree identification is part of some academic courses, and in these cases includes all woody plants.
Tree identification is a narrower field than botony (the study of all plants), and should not be confused. The articles below discuss some tree identification topics:
- What is a tree?
- A kids guide to tree identification
- Tree identification by leaf shape
- Why leaves are the shape they are?
- Tree identification by bark
- The evolution of trees
- Dendrology - the study of trees
- The benefits of trees
- Why do different trees grow in different places?
- Identifying tree health problems
- Elm Tree Identification
- Fruit Trees Identification
- Maple Tree Identification
- Oak Tree Identification
- Palm Tree Identification
- Pine Tree Identification